Shastix Forums
   Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

New Non-Fiction Trek Book in Books Pages: 1 Reply

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

29th March 2024, 21:38    
Jim, I wondered if you had heard of this. I was keyed in by an interview with David Mack on TrekLit podcast.

Strange New Worlds: Essays on Star Trek Tie-In Fiction. It is to be published later this year by McFarland. Below is the address for the publisher's page.

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/strange-novel-worlds/

Donnie
---

Jim
Site Owner

7th April 2024, 18:28    
Hey Donnie,

I've not heard about this, no. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not a massive reader of non-fiction (as should be evident from this website!) - I'd be interested to hear what you think though if you read it?

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

7th April 2024, 18:51    
I'd not considered the non-fiction angle. I don't read non-fiction either, but David Mack's description of his contribution to the collection really caught my attention, leading me to believe there may be some interesting insights shed on the process of what gets published. The publisher's description also interested me:

Despite the enduring popularity of the franchise they are based on, no previous essay collection has ever focused on the numerous and widely diverse books of Star Trek tie-in novels. This collection does just that by examining the tie-in works as relevant literature. The essays primarily focus on tie-in books published from 1990 to 2022, and each author discusses the plot and context of separate novels while simultaneously exploring major themes such as canon vs. fanfiction and merits of the genre. The collection ends with an exploration of the continuity of this period of Star Trek as it stands following a narrative conclusion announced in 2021.

I've already ordered it (due in July) and will let you know what I think.

Donnie
---

New Non-Fiction Trek Book in Books Pages: 1 Reply