Shastix Forums
   Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

Jim, Thoughts? in Books Pages: 1 Reply

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

24th July 2023, 13:34    
Jim, I finished and posted my review of The High Country. I'll paste an excerpt below. Wonder if this is some of what you thought or felt.

There is a lot going on in The High Country but strangely not much happens. The culprit is not lack of talent, for Miller consummately wields the components of fiction writing: action, description, interior monologue, and dialogue. He captures the voices and behaviors--the essences--of established characters (Pike, Spock, Hemmer, and La’an stand out) while manifesting original characters (Drayko, Celarius, and Zoryana) fully as Zeus bore Athena from his brow. As authors of Star Trek novels sometimes do, Miller predicates this one on rectifying a ridiculous premise of an episode (here one from season three of Star Trek: Enterprise). His correct assessment of the premise notwithstanding, a retroactive revision is not in demand; consequently, though never dull (recall: a lot goes on), the centripetal force around which the narrative revolves exerts minimal attraction. Gratefully, the final quarter of the book accelerates towards an unpredictable climax and thorny character resolutions worthy of Miller’s creativity.

In The High Country, John Jackson Miller delivers a debut full of interesting science fiction concepts and mysteries, engaging characters, deft humor, and page time for Hemmer; yet, this novel disappoints. To experience Miller’s genius dive into the smashingly successful Star Trek Prey trilogy (Hell’s Heart, The Jackal’s Trick, and The Hall Of Heroes) published in 2016.

Donnie
---

Jim, Thoughts? in Books Pages: 1 Reply