Shastix Forums
   Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

The High Country: Could This Be The Answer To Your Question in Books Pages: 1 Reply

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

12th July 2023, 13:19    
Hey Jim, been a minute. I just finished The High Country, ST SNW yesterday. In your April review you wrote:

The one thing I did find though was that this wasn’t a book I was able to read fast. I’d just come off a period of heavy reading where I’d be really engrossed for hours, and this broke that habit. I’m not really sure what aspect had that effect, but it meant that it took me nearly two weeks to read instead of two days.

In thinking about my own review of the novel, the phrase that comes to mind that I'm sure will find its way into my review is this: There is a lot going on, but not much happening. I found the book rather a disappointment.

Donnie

---

Jim
Site Owner

16th July 2023, 13:47    
Hey Donnie,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've found the same again with Somewhere To Belong... will be interesting to see if you agree (assuming you are reading the Disco novels?).

Jim

Unregistered User
(Ignotus hospes)

17th July 2023, 15:32    
Indeed. I am reading some of the DISCO novels. I recently picked up Somewhere To Belong after hearing two podcast interviews with Dayton Ward about the novel and was interested in the character work he aimed to address that got no resolution in season 3. I am gay and was surprisingly happy with how Dave Galanter rendered a relationship between Hugh and Paul in Dead Endless, so I read some more DISCO but have found them to be hit and miss in terms of the quality. I think the biggest source of my disappointment is simply that we are back to pre-DS9 reboot/2001 or so storytelling when the shows were in production.

Donnie

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

17th July 2023, 15:33    
Indeed. I am reading some of the DISCO novels. I recently picked up Somewhere To Belong after hearing two podcast interviews with Dayton Ward about the novel and was interested in the character work he aimed to address that got no resolution in season 3. I am gay and was surprisingly happy with how Dave Galanter rendered a relationship between Hugh and Paul in Dead Endless, so I read some more DISCO but have found them to be hit and miss in terms of the quality. I think the biggest source of my disappointment is simply that we are back to pre-DS9 reboot/2001 or so storytelling when the shows were in production.

Donnie
---

The High Country: Could This Be The Answer To Your Question in Books Pages: 1 Reply