Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

Comments on The FAN for 11th November 2008 in The FAN Pages: 1 Reply

Comments on The FAN for 11th November 2008

Guest:
Amon Star

Unregistered User
(Ignotus hospes)

11th November 2008, 18:08    
I didn't realise that was meant to be a curse until you said so. I thought it was someone's name.

Jim
Site Owner

11th November 2008, 20:40    
Ditto. Although I think english swear words can be perfectly expressive in the hands of a master ;)

B.T. Isaac
Board Moderator

12th November 2008, 02:13    
"Chikusho" as someone's name? Hm. I see a lot of comedic potential in that. As for swearing... All I can say is, once a person learns to swear in Hungarian, they don't want to swear in any other language anymore. Compared to the Hungarian word for "damn", "Fornication Under Consent of the King" feels polite and aristocratic.

B.T. Isaac
Board Moderator

12th November 2008, 02:35    
Clicked 'Submit' too soon. As I was saying, while there certainly is an Hungarian version of the F word, that serves the same purposes, there are dozens of words for "damn", "dammit", "damn you" or "damned", which interestingly derive from the names of medieval diseases and execution methods. Than there are also a number of ridiculously long, gramatically correct but logically inconsistent phrases of random gibberrish, involving the names of various hystorical, biblical, symbolic or fictional figures, animals, weapons, body parts and bodily functions, household items, trees, musical instruments, furniture, building parts and other random things, coupled with completeley unrelated verbs and adjectives. You can't even translate these.

Guest:
Amon Star

Unregistered User
(Ignotus hospes)

13th November 2008, 20:01    
I heard Hungarian had a lot of curses, but I didn't know it was that extensive.

Comments on The FAN for 11th November 2008 in The FAN Pages: 1 Reply