Shastix Forums
   Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

Review of The Last Best Hope in Books Pages: 1 Reply

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

22nd March 2020, 21:57   History
Jim, Excellent review of Una\'s new book. I concur with your disappointment: I have to be a little disappointed that the new TV series effectively erases a good chunk of the storyline that I’ve enjoyed reading in the novels over the past decades....rnrnI was highly anticipating the book because of the author (and her last effort, \"Engima Tales\"!) and because Kirsten Beyer has been intimately involved with the two new shows. I had expected there would be some integration of the 20 years of the litverse with \"Star Trek: Picard,\" not a lot but more than there turned out to be. I\'ve not seen the series--and won\'t until it is out on DVD--but good to note your thoughts about where it ideally would best be read if one was watching the series. The last chapter or so I found the most compelling and could not put it down.rnrnAfter finishing it, I find it hard to tease out how much of my disappointment is with \"adjusting\" to 20 years of narratives being wiped away or whether I expected to enjoy the book more than I did based on the author\'s previous work. I plan to watch \"Discovery\"--finally--later this year and have my eye on your reading order. I\'ve not read any of those books.rnrnI have read two or three times that some group of the Trek lit authors have plans afoot to finish / wind down / conclude the narratives in the novels. That would be a delight, though I could live with TNG ending with \"Collateral Damage.\" DS9 has several narratives I would love to return to--Sisko\'s leading the Robinson into the Gamma Quadrant, Bashir\'s fate on Cardassia as well as the fate of Garak\'s government, and all the threads from \"The Last Mirage.\"rnrnVOY might get a decent send off with Beyer\'s novel out later this year. As for ENT, I was enjoying Bennett\'s narrative of the early days of the the Federation and how it developed, but the last couple of books, particularly \"Patterns Of Interference,\" fell flat to me, so I could let that go.rnrnFinally, TTN\'s last several books were standouts! I\'d love to read a last book or two from that series.rnrnLove that you\'ve kept up your Reading Order page and expanded it. Well done. I still believe yours is the best I\'ve found.rnrnDonnie
---

Review of The Last Best Hope in Books Pages: 1 Reply