Shastix Forums
   Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

Infinite loop? in Technical Support Pages: 1 Reply

B.T. Isaac
Artist

13th September 2008, 23:29    
Well, there seem to be two problems I'd like to ask about, and this seems to be the bigger one. First off, I seem to be unable to access the site from other computers than my own, regardless of me being logged on or not. I get an error message about something that seems a lot like an infinite loop.

The second is regarding the comments. i made two comments on may latest page (regarding news of upcoming pages), but they don't show up on the main page.

B.T. Isaac
Artist

13th September 2008, 23:38    
Also, the site seems to become unaccessible for short periods of time. Seemingly right after I make a post.

Jim
Site Owner

14th September 2008, 21:42    
Interesting... the infinite loop sounds like a recurrance of a problem we've had before. Not sure why it would have come back as I've not touched that part of the code.

As regards comments not updating on the front page, this must be an issue with transfering the comments to the forums. I knew at first that this was the case as I didn't update the front page until all the comics had been moved (otherwise it would just have thrown up an error to everyone who visited). It sounds like the issue with the site dissapearing may be linked... sounds like something in the post comment code isn't working properly and is locking up the database for a while.

I thought everything had gone too easily with the switchover! Oh well, back to work then.

B.T. Isaac
Artist

15th September 2008, 06:45    
could someone be hacking the site like last time?

Jim
Site Owner

15th September 2008, 17:15    
I'm going to go with a 'no' on that one and say it's going to be a problem with the new code I've written... just need to find some time to sit down and figure out where.

Jim
Site Owner

5th October 2008, 02:46    
Hey,

Finally found time to have a look at what was wrong with comments appearing on the front page... there was one letter missing for the code for The FAN which meant that comments weren't being attributed to the right board in the forums, and so were'nt being spotted by the front page. This is fixed now, so all should be happy.

Jim

B.T. Isaac
Artist

5th October 2008, 04:58    
Good job.
But I wonder if the site goes off line again after this comment.
Oh, by the way. What's with the broken apostrophe in one of my comments for Khatru? It's only there in IE and Firefox 3.

B.T. Isaac
Artist

5th October 2008, 05:05    
It seemed like it went away, but only for a few minutes. I'm checking it again.

Jim
Site Owner

11th October 2008, 01:16    
Yes, the apostrophe was a victim of the move of the comments to the forums, where apostrophes are encoded as a bit of html code and the code word was truncated by the funciton which limits the length of the comment on the front page. IE and Firefox probably attempted to interpret it as the nearest code (which for me looked a bit like an office block) - other browsers may have just chosen to ignore it.

I'm still looking into the disappearing front page after posting... it does seem only to be the front page though. If necessary I may look into making the front page static and only update once every five minutes, or something like that.

Jim
Site Owner

11th October 2008, 03:20    
I've changed some of the code on the front page to streamline it a bit. There were two possible changes I could have made which would have worked, so if this one doesn't I'll try the other one out.

broken_hero
Artist

27th October 2009, 14:36    
I'm getting the Redirect Loop, but only when I use the firefox on my laptop at home. Safari at home works, and Safari and Firefox both work on the J-School lab computers (the ones we use there are Macs). I just updated my Firefox, but there's apparently a v. 3.5 out. Maybe I should try to upgrade to that one.

Jim
Site Owner

2nd November 2009, 15:49    
Hi,
Just spotted this post... sorry :( Will try to investigate this evening and see if I can find out where the problem is.
Ta,
Jim

Jim
Site Owner

9th November 2009, 02:20   History
Have just looked in the logs and there is indeed an infinite loop... exactly the same as we used to get. And I thought this problem was solved :(
Investigation is on.

Jim

Edit 1: It looks like there are a couple of reasons this could happen. Wonder why we've never spotted them before.

Edit 2: Okay, I've made three changes in places which might inadvertently lead to the infinite loop problem. Hopefully that will make the problem go away, but let me know if not!

Infinite loop? in Technical Support Pages: 1 Reply