Shastix Forums
   Shastrix.com   |   Shastrix Forums    Register   |    Sign In  

Review of Absent Enemies in Books Pages: 1 Reply

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

15th March 2014, 05:50    
Jim,

I enjoy reading your reviews and appreciate the recent one for the e-book only novella. I bought a Nook in 2012, at the time supporting Barnes & Noble here in the U.S., mostly to finally read the six-part "Slings and Arrows.," having given up that it was going to be published in paper and thinking that it would be of suitable interest since it was set during the Dominion War. Quickly I learned that I could have skipped it. I also bought Bennett's e-book Typhon Pact novella and then the coda for Vanguard. Bennett's was the only one that was particularly interesting.

I'd decided to hold off buying any more, mostly because I am pessimistic about the future of the Nook if not B & N in general and did not want to purchase any more books that would end up on a device that would no longer be supported. I figured I'd likely buy a new device in the future and circle back to read all the novellas recently released and projected in the future, thinking I'd be missing a lot. Your review of "Absent Enemies" lets me know that I'm not missing much.

Donnie
---

Jim
Site Owner

16th March 2014, 01:56   History
Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the comment about Slings and Arrows - I've been wondering myself whether it's worth getting them to read through, and now I know I don't have to!

Of the more recent ebooks, I thought James Swallow's was good as well as Bennett's. I didn't keep up with Vanugard at all, so didn't bother with that one.

There are some interesting-sounding ebooks coming up in the next year or so: Terry Erdman and Paula Block's DS9 Quark story, Christopher L Bennett's got a DTI novella coming, and there will be a TNG Q story - so I certainly don't think I'm going to be able to stop buying them!

Jim

dbrowning
Witty Wildcat
(Felis sylvestris)

23rd March 2014, 05:55    
Jim,

Yeah, Slings was rather a waste, though I'm still interested in some of those upcoming, and I'd heard good things about James Swallows e-book from last year. I still plan to give most if not all of them a read, but I think my experience, plus the results of your review, helps me temper the pressure to act now to buy a device ($$) and get cracking.

Off topic--we seem to both enjoy detective/mystery fiction, too, and I'm working my way through Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books as well as Trek, currently reading This Body Of Death before I re-read CLB's A Choice Of Futures and then pick up the sequel. George is an author I admire greatly as is one of your compatriots, Minette Walters. I've read all of her work.

Donnie
PERSON said:
---

Review of Absent Enemies in Books Pages: 1 Reply